RCIA (Rite of Christian Initiation for Adults) is offered year-round for those thinking about becoming a Catholic or completing their sacraments of initiation. RCIA is intended for adults with a wide range of needs and circumstances including:
- Those never baptized who are considering baptism
- Those who may have background in the Christian faith and those with no previous background
- Those baptized in other Christian communities who are considering joining in full communion with the Catholic Church
- Those baptized as Catholics who have not yet received all their sacraments of initiation (first communion or confirmation)
RCIA is a journey of study, prayer and sharing of faith experiences. The Catholic Christian community is involved in the journey, especially Catechists (facilitators and teachers), God Parents and Sponsors. RCIA sessions are scheduled throughout the year, with a combination of Sunday Catechesis focusing on the Liturgy of the Word, and some Wednesday evening sessions that delve deeper into various aspects of Church teaching. Foundations in Faith workbooks for participants serve as a resource and journal for the RCIA journey – and provide Catechists with excellent resource materials for leading sessions.
RCIA is a process that focusses on different stages of spiritual development and formation of faith:
- Inquiry is an early stage of discernment and answering basic questions
- Catechesis explores our faith and the Church’s teaching and in harmony with the Sunday liturgy
- Purification & Enlightenment is a period of focused reflection and spiritual preparation for the Easter sacraments
- Mystagogia is a period of reflection and celebration that deepens the mysteries of the Easter sacraments for ‘neophytes’ recently received into the Church and a time of transition into living the joys and responsibilities of membership in the Body of Christ.
RCIA steps and stages are marked by ‘rites’, which are celebrations along the journey and offer prayers of support and solidarity with the Sacred Heart parish community. We also welcome new volunteers to help serve as Catechists or sponsors.
If you would like more information, please contact the Parish office at email@example.com or call 403-244-2741, ext. 221.
Photos of Preparation and Easter Vigil Celebration of the Sacraments as well as Feed the Hungry Mission 2022 – RCIA 2022 – Google Photos