RCIA (Rite of Christian Initiation for Adults) is offered year-round for those thinking about becoming a Catholic or completing their sacraments of initiation. RCIA is intended for adults with a wide range of needs and circumstances including:
- Those never baptized who are considering baptism, including those who may have background in the Christian faith and those with no previous background.
- Those baptized in other Christian communities who are considering entering in full communion with the Catholic Church
- Those baptized as Catholics who have not yet received all their sacraments of initiation (first communion or confirmation)
- Parents seeking Baptism for older children and youth.
The first step is to arrange a meeting with the RCIA Team to find out about your faith background, to discuss the RCIA process and options, and to discern together how best to serve your individual circumstances and needs.
To arrange a meeting with the RCIA Team, please contact Beata at the Parish office at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 403-244-2741, ext. 221.
Three Pillars of RCIA in the Diocese of Calgary—Evangelization, Year-Round, Lectionary Based
RCIA is a journey of study, prayer and sharing of faith experiences.
RCIA sessions are scheduled on most Sunday mornings throughout the year, supplemented by some home study. Sessions focus on the Bible readings from each Sunday Mass (Lectionary based) and catechesis (Church teachings) inspired by the Sunday readings. The participants’ workbook ‘Foundations in Faith’, serves as a resource and journal for the RCIA journey – and provides our RCIA Team with excellent resource materials for leading sessions. We also follow a weekly ‘Opening the Word’ short video series from the Catholic website Formed.org
RCIA is a process that unfolds in stages of spiritual development and faith formation:
- Inquiry is an early stage of discernment and answering basic questions.
- Catechesis explores our faith and the Church’s teaching in harmony with the Sunday liturgy.
- Purification & Enlightenment normally takes place during Lent, as a time of reflection and spiritual preparation for the Easter sacraments.
- Mystagogia is a period of reflection and celebration that deepens the mysteries of the Easter sacraments for those recently received into the Church and a time of transition into living the joys and responsibilities of full membership in the Catholic Church.
RCIA steps and stages are marked by ‘rites’, which are celebrations along the journey. Through these rites, our Parish community offers prayers of support and solidarity.
The Catholic Christian community is involved in the journey, including:
- Catechists (facilitators and teachers), God Parents and Sponsors, RCIA alumni and parishioners who offer their support and prayers.
We also welcome new volunteers to help serve as Catechists or sponsors.
RCIA CONTINUO (alumni and ‘friends’ initiative)
In 2021, Sacred Heart launched a new initiative to help draw in new inquirers, and to support current RCIA participants and new members of our faith community. It involves alumni who are past RCIA participants, godparents, sponsors, and team members. RCIA Continuo organizes occasional activities and events throughout the year, as we grow together supporting each other, and deepening and sharing our faith understanding and experiences. Recent RCIA Continuo events included a dinner and discussion evening, a fall Outdoor Mass and Rosary Walk at Our Lady of Peace Mission Cairn and serving as a preparation team for the Diocese’s Feed the Hungry lunch program.
RCIA Continuo also supports Sacred Heart’s parish mission as a beating heart in our community, which draws people in (Come to me, all you that are weary and are carrying heavy burdens, and I will give you rest), and sends us out to serve (Go therefore and make disciples of all nations).
If you would like more information, please contact the Parish office at email@example.com or call 403-244-2741, ext. 221.
Photos of Preparation and Easter Vigil Celebration of the Sacraments as well as Feed the Hungry Mission 2022 – RCIA 2022 – Google Photos