We want to keep you healthy!
We understand that right now is a time of uncertainty in regards to the COVID-19 virus. We wanted to provide an update from the diocese and what we are doing at Sacred Heart Church.
First and foremost, the obligation to attend mass on Sunday does not apply to those who are ill, especially those who suffer from a contagious illness; those with flu-like symptoms should remain at home so as not to spread the virus to others.
This weekend, there will be regularly scheduled Masses in our parish. For pastoral reasons, however, Bishop McGrattan has issued the Decree dispensing those Catholics, especially who may be enduring some distress, from the obligation of attending Sunday Mass this weekend, March 14 & 15, 2020.
Measures being taken by Sacred Heart Church to protect your health
As per instruction from the Diocese of Calgary we have implemented:(more information here)
- At the Sign of Peace, refrain from shaking hands – a simple bow, nod, or “Peace be with you” to your neighbour is appropriate.
- Baptismal and Holy Water fonts are to be emptied and are to be sanitized with water and bleach.
- Holy Communion will only be distributed under the Body of Christ (Host).
- Only priests may distribute Holy Communion to those who choose to receive on their tongue at a designated area apart from the main aisle. Note: It has been shared by some public health experts that there is no indication of increased risk of infection in receiving the host either on the tongue or in the hand.
- Those who choose to receive Holy Communion in the hand will be asked to approach the Extraordinary Ministers of Holy Communion or a priest who is not distributing Communion to those receiving on the tongue.
- Only priests are to consume the Precious Blood.
- Extraordinary Ministers of Holy Communion who feel uncomfortable distributing Holy Communion should be excused from this ministry.
Furthermore, we will be:
- Disinfecting heavily touched surfaces after each mass.
- Disinfecting backs of pews and heavily touched areas of the sanctuary after each mass.
- Daily disinfecting surfaces that could have been touched.
We ask that you:
- Frequently and properly wash hands with soap and water. Use hand sanitizer liberally if water and soap are not available.
- Sneeze and cough into your sleeve.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, or mouth.
Your health and comfort is of the upmost importance to us, please feel free to reach out if you have any questions or concerns. We will continue to keep you updated if the situation with COVID-19 escalates. You are in our prayers!
Sacred Heart Communications Team